Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Writes & Reads #2: Socrates Adams

In our regular slot in the build-up to MLF 2011, we've asked some of the writers taking part to share their favourite books and give us a glimpse into the world of their own writing.

Socrates Adams will be launching his debut novel, Everything’s Fine (Transmission Print), during this year's Manchester Literature Festival and will be reading extracts at the Manchester Blog Awards on Wednesday 19 October (7pm, the Deaf Institute). You can read his blog here.



MLF: List your top three favourite books…

SA: Victoria by Knut Hamsun; The Anthologist by Nicholson Baker; The Old Man And The Sea by Ernest Hemmingway.

MLF: What are you reading right now?

SA: The Chronology Of Water by Lidia Yuknavitch.

MLF: How did you get to this point in your writing career?
SA: My dad rings me at 5am every day and tells me that if I don't write anything then I will be a failure. So I write something every day. Then he rings me at 9pm, says, "You're still a failure," then hangs up. Also, just through luck and enjoying writing.

MLF: Who would you cite as your biggest influence, be they another writer, an artist, a musician, a Premier League footballer…
SA: I don't really know who or what is my biggest influence. I guess I would just probably say the terror of death.

MLF: Which events in this year’s MLF programme are must-sees for you?

SA: I'm very interested in seeing the International Prize for Arabic Fiction discussion. As Modern Languages buyer for Blackwell Bookshop, this is my professional duty. Also the readings and discussions by Emma Jane Unsworth and Zoe Lambert will definitely be worth seeing.

MLF: Tell us about what you’re working on at the moment.
SA: I'm working very hard on a new novel about television presenters, World Of Warcraft, royal weddings, sexuality, worthlessness and substance misuse.

For full details of all events at MLF 2011 and how to book, visit the website at www.manchesterliteraturefestival.co.uk

No comments: